Last Updated on
Belt Sander is not a common tool for woodworking. When it is about fine woodworking to prepare a fine piece of furniture or other projects, you should consider using a belt sander as a part of the fashion work. A belt sander is a machinery tool that cut off a considerable amount of wood stock from the face of that piece. This tool is designed especially for sanding down or smoothing the edge of the wood pieces. Since this woodworking process requires much care, you should learn about how to use a belt sander before moving to your project.
However, using a belt sander is pretty easy. Below we have mentioned the necessary steps that you should follow to use a belt sander properly.
Step by Step Guide to Use a Belt Sander
Step 1: Setting Up
- Mark the part of the wood which you need to make smooth. Draw some random lines to help keep track the specific area ought to be sanded and the specific area ought to be prevented. Your pencil line will enable sanding wood within the right direction.
- Prepare the bit of the wood that you’re going to become sanded. Make certain that the wood piece will fit perfectly up for grabs or around the machine.
- Try taking some safety apparels. Should you belt sander doesn’t contain any dust collection bag, you need to use goggles to safeguard your skills in the sawdust. Also, use hands mitts to prevent moving accidents when you running your belt sander.
- While you will start the motor, you need to make certain that the wood piece is incorporated in the safe distance in the belt. Otherwise, the wood piece may connection with the belt and also the machine may toss the wood which might result in a serious accident.
- Make sure that your cloth is out of the way.
Step 2: Using the Belt Sander
If the belt sander is hand-handled:
- Start the motor of the belt sander and wait until it gets the full speed.
- Use your two hands. One hand will hold the trigger and the another will hold another handle to move the machine forward.
- Make sure that the rear part of the sender will contact the first. Then face down the rest of the sanding onto the wood.
- When you result in the contact between your wood and also the belt from the sander, you might find the belt is looking after carry the wood. Don’t retain in it for any lengthy time. You need to drive the belt sander toward proceed the sanding work correctly throughout all surfaces from the forest that you simply hold.
- Now look at your work progress frequently. You need to provide light pressure while moving the sander to the wood piece. Don’t give much pressure around the wood. Heavy pressure around the wood surface could cause damages towards the wood.
If the belt sander is not hand-handled or fixed on the base table:
You will see that some belt sander can be managed by taking it at the hand, while some other sender’s belt is fixed on the base table itself.
- In that case, you need to take the wood piece over the machine’s belt.
- Now move the wood piece down to the running belt.
- Slightly attach the side of the wood which you want to do the sanding.
- Move your wood piece to the side direction to allow the belt sanding your wood piece.
- Now move up the wood to check whether your sanding task is completed or you need to repeat the process again.
Use your Belt Sander Safely
Belt sanders are relatively safe tools, but it’s still smart to take precautions.
- Wear hearing protection—these babies are LOUD!
- Don’t breathe dust. It’s not just unpleasant; it’s bad for you. Wear a dust mask while sanding, unless you rig up a shop vacuum for dust collection (photo, below).
- Unplug the tool before changing belts or emptying the dust bag. I have a scar that attests to the importance of this seemingly grandmotherly precaution.
- If you are using the belt sander to sand metal, you’ll create sparks, which could begin a fire when they mix using the sawdust within the machine and also the dust bag. Blow or vacuum the dust from the sander prior to using it on metal, and take away the dust bag.
- Make certain the trigger is off before plugging the sander in. Belt sanders possess a locking button store the switch within the “on” position. Sounds kinda “duh,” but believe me, it takes place. You do not want the sander to fly over the room whenever you hook it up, would you?
- Belt sanders exert a good quantity of pressure around the work. Therefore if your projects isn’t safely held, it’ll slide from or directly into you. Clamps obstruct, however a simple stop around the appropriate side from the work surface (photo, “Use Good Technique” above) could keep it from sliding. Select a stop that’s just a little thinner compared to work surface therefore the sander will obvious it in the edge.
Thus you may be sanding your wood pieces utilizing a belt sander. It’s not a tough process whatsoever, but improper understanding could cause damaging your wood piece or you might be hurt. So, you need to start any sanding tasks after knowing using a belt sander.
Our recommendations on best belt sander purchase, (you can also search our store to find the product you want):
Another video that might help you to use Belt Sander.